by Laura Nugent (Lighting Designer)
If you told me on March 26, 2015, a year ago today, that I would be the lighting designer for the Barnstormers, less than a week from opening night for Legally Blonde, I would have laughed because I hadn’t gotten into Hopkins yet. If you told me the next day, March 27, I might have believed the Barnstormers part because I was admitted that afternoon, but still would have laughed about the lighting design part.
I laughed in February too when I was asked to lighting design for Legally Blonde, because I had literally no idea how to lighting design. Today I would still laugh (maybe because I don’t know how to change a light bulbs).
Now, I may not know how to change a light bulb, but I DO know some things about gels and photometric charts and gobos, and I’ve got lots of fun special effects in store for you next week. I don’t want to give all of it away, but here’s a list of five awesome things to look out for during the show:
1. SPOTLIGHTS! Man, does this show have a lot of spotlights. Sometimes they’re even exciting colors, like….
2. PINK! Specifically, Skeleton Exotic Sangria. If you’re wondering about the name of that fabulous shade of pink that *so frequently* lights up the stage, it’s called Skeleton Exotic Sangria. (Disclaimer: color may or may not have been chosen for its name.) Lots of other lovely colors make special appearances as….
3. FUNKY DISCO LIGHTS! Some for funk, some for disco. All reflected for extra funkiness and disco-y-ness by our delightfully shiny stage, and only made better by….
4. WHOLE WALLS OF COLOR! Also known as the cyc, this is a massive white sheet at the back wall of the theater onto which I can project all of the colors, and other fun things too, including quite possibly….
5. A FIREWORKS DISPLAY! Nothing like celebratory indoor fireworks to make this production shine.
Special shout outs to Monika and Esther, the best and sunniest design assistant and board op a lighting designer could ask for!
Don’t miss Legally Blonde, it’ll be the most lit production ever!